Monday, February 24, 2014

Fried Chicken, Potato Salad and Vienna


I am really sorry because as you've noticed I haven't been writing that much. To be more specific, I haven't been working on my blog posts for about 1 month, which is a very looong time. What did I do during this long time? Well, a lot of things happened; I went to Austria, the second semester of the school year started and many other stuff. 

So, as I've said before I just got back from Vienna, Austria and it was one of the unplanned Gourmet Tours. Of course we had our plans before we arrived in Vienna. I mean normal people would look for museums and touristic places to see. However I booked a table from the famous restaurant before we arrived. That's my perspective because as you know I love new tastes and this trip was full of them.




So here are some photos from Vienna streets. I hope you'll like them. 
Karlsplatz

Vienna's Natural History Museum

The National Library
St. Charles' Church
If we come to the gourmet part of this trip: first of all as you can guess, I tried the schnitzel. It was amazing. I loooove schnitzel; I love anything that is crispy and crunchy. It wasn't a major shock for anyone because everyone knows that I love anything that is crispy. 

I had the schnitzel twice. The first time I had was in a restaurant called "Sky Restaurant". Literally it was up in the sky because the restaurant was on the roof floor of a department store and it had a magnificent view of the city. The foods were yum as well.
Figlmüller's Schnitzel and Potato Salad

The second time I had schnitzel was in the restaurant which I told you that I had made a reservation. When I was reserving a table I had no idea where the restaurant was or what kind of a place it was; all I knew was that it's name was "Figlmüller" and they had "the best schnitzel in town" (as they say). Well I don't know many others but this one was really yummy. I mean it was one of the best schnitzels I've ever had. They served it with a potato salad with some greens on top and with a special sauce that has pumpkin seed oil in it. It was yummy. I highly suggest that you should reserve a table here and visit this place. 
The recipe that I am going to share with you is inspired from this trip, the schnitzel. Actually it is more like a Fried Chicken rather than a schnitzel because the chicken I used was not very thin. I hope you'll like it:



Ingredients:

For the fried chicken:
4 chicken breasts
1 egg
1/2 tablespoon of water. 
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
Salt, pepper
Knorr's Crunchy Coating or 1 cup of breadcrumbs

For the potato salad:
4 medium potatoes
1/3 cup of mayonnaise
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 clove of garlic, grated
Some green onions
1/2 tablespoon of dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon of mustard with mustard seeds
Salt, pepper

Directions:

For the potato salad: 

1) Dice potatoes into cubes and boil in salted boiling water until tender. Chop some green onions .

2) Meanwhile combine the rest of the ingredients for the potato salad in a large mixing bowl. Add in the chopped onions and give it a little stir. 



3) Drain the potatoes and wait for them to cool down. Then add them to the sauce and into the mixing bowl. Combine gently not too harsh because then the potatoes will get mashed and it is not a result that we want.




For the fried chicken:

1) In a plate sift the flour and combine it with some salt and some pepper.



2) In a medium bowl whisk the egg and stir with a tablespoon of water. I just like adding some water in to the egg. I think it makes it more fluffy. It might be a major kitchen mistake but it is just something I like to do. 



3) In another plate add in the crunchy mixture or the breadcrumbs. 



4) Heat the oil and wait until the oil is really hot so that the chicken isn't very greasy when it is fried and cooked. 



5) First coat the chicken with some season flour until everywhere is covered with flour. 



6) Then dip it in the egg wash. 



7) Coat the chicken breasts well with the  crispy chicken coating or the breadcrumbs evenly. Shake to get rid of the excess coating. 



8) When the oil is hot enough carefully place the chickens. When frying the chicken make sure that you place the chicken slowly into the oil.



9) When the chicken is golden brown and crispy, for about 4-5 minutes, turn them and let them cook until the other side of the chicken is also cooked well.

10) Place the chickens on a plate that is lined with paper towel. This way the chickens will release the extra oil and they will be more crunchy. Serve warm. 




Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment